Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Potty Training Succes!!

We decided to potty train Tessa at the beginning of May. It went really well. For the past few months she has been peeing on the potty 1 to 3 times a day. We always had success in getting her to go right before bed. It just became part of the bedtime routine. Then we would randomly get one or two more times a day. We finally decided it was time when she went poop on the big potty!!

It all started on a Saturday morning. When she woke up, I put her on the potty, praised her when she went, and then on went the underwear! I continued to ask her every 30 minutes, and if she said she didn't have to go, I didn't force her. Her only accident that day was poop. And let's face it, it's kind of scary pooping in the big potty sometimes! We talked about it A LOT! I told her that pooping and peeing in her underwear made me very sad. She did not want to make Mommy sad. Seriously, this talk worked for her!

After such a wonderful day 1, I thought I had a potty training genius. However, day 2 was not as great. She had 3 accidents (pee only). Which was followed by a Tessa-high of 4 accidents on day 3. Day 4-6 slowed down with the accidents and she only had 1 each day.

Day 7 was a Friday and I decided to take the kids to work to see my co-workers. They hear so much about the kids, so I thought it would be nice to have a visit. I was really worried about taking her out and about with only underwear, but Day 7 ended up being her first day accident free!!! I was so proud and happy. We even ended up going to Target and Panera together in the afternoon and she remained accident free.

It has now been weeks since Tessa has had an accident. I think it's safe to say she's potty trained!

If anyone is working toward potty training a kid, here's my advice: Don't use pull-ups! They are too confusing to kids.... "Hey, don't pee in your pants, but if you pee in the pull-up I won't be as mad" ... Yeah, doesn't make sense, huh? We only put Tessa in a pull-up when she took a nap or went to bed but soon found she was waking up dry so we stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment